According to Reuters, more than a million people watch streaming videos every day. The massive craze of streaming media (both audio and video) has attracted many popular television stations to broadcast their shows on various streaming platforms.
With advances in technology and enhanced internet speeds available these days, the volume of data and time spent on streaming of video broadcast has witnessed a growth like never before.
The technology used by media like TV and radio involves information passing through an electronic device like a cable or satellite signal. The electronic device then decodes the information and signal appears on the screen or voice is heard. Similarly in a streaming media, data travels from a server, and a standalone plug-in (part of a web browser), works as a decoder that helps you receive the ‘signal’.
All you need is a plug-in to be able to view the streaming videos online. Generally the web page would direct you in the right direction. It gives a list of players you can download and view the streaming media. There are four such players that decode the signals and display the data on screen. They are:
1. Quick Time from Apple
2. Real networks from Real Media
3. Windows media player from Microsoft and
4. Adobe flash player or .flv.
Real Time Messaging Protocol:
Also known as RTMP is developed by Adobe for seamless streaming between Flash player and media server. It runs on a TCP enabled packet based transmission between client and server. The RTMP stream plug-in, together with Moyea web player, creates Joomla RTMP FLV player to play live streaming videos, and SMIL presentations from RTMP servers such as open source Red5 Server, Adobe Flash Media server and other servers.
This enables .flv files to acquire powerful features such as:
1. Playback of live streams,
2. Ability to play SMIL presentations,
3. Supports streams from multiple RTMP servers, like RTMPT, RTMPE etc.
4. Ability to seek to any position in the video timeline randomly, and starting play from any position in the video timeline.
What is needed?
1. A combination of RTMP, .flv and RTMP flv player are required to play live streaming video in customized RTMP FLV player on site.
2. A webcam is required so you can show whatever is being captured live using the RTMP flv player on the internet.
3. You would need a DV recorder that can record and display everything that is being recorded via RTMP flv player on the internet.
4. You also need Flash media server 3.5, RTMP stream plug-in player and Flash media Live Encoder 3.
1. Make sure all components like DV recorder, web cam and the computer are connected and functional.
2. Launch FMS, that is installed on the server. Generally it runs in the background rather than on the desktop. You can check its working status by going to ‘control panel’ –> ‘administrative tools’ –> ‘services’.
3. Install FMLE on your computer. You can see input and output areas on the screens. To the left you see the “input area”, here the data from the camera is received and audio and video settings can be customized, and “output area” is on to the right side, where you can set output related parameters and also stream data to flash media.
4. Hit the start button (in green). This commences the video encoding and streaming process. Events such as moving, talking, acting are recorded in the webcam or DV recorder once the interface switches on.
5. You can see from FMLE UI that a connection is set up and running between FMLE and FMS. Simply copy the URL from here to proceed to the next step.
6. Launch RTMP flv player with installed plug-in and paste the FMS URL on the interface on this screen. Select ‘Add’ -> ‘Add RTMP Stream’
7. Complete the rest of the customization process so that it is now ready for publishing. Once done, you can enjoy the live streaming on customized RTMP flv player on your site.